Infertility is a source of significant health burden as well as stigma and shame for many. Although infertility is equally affecting men and women, the burden of infertility is disproportionally carried by women and girls. However, fertility care remains inaccessible for most in-need. It is usually absent from global health discussions and country-level policies and strategies; and it is rarely included in programs or covered through public health financing.
In this session we will provide a general introduction to infertility; present people’s experience of infertility, treatment seeking and exclusion, with examples from Bangladesh; and share infertility care in practice, in Gambia.
- Date: Tuesday, 21st November 2023
- Time: 10.30 – 12.00 CET
- Location: Conference Center TivoliVredenburg, Meeting Room Pandora
- Registration: Open to all ECTMIH2023 conference attendees
- Charlotte Frederike VAN TEUNENBROEK, MD; Resident in Global Health and Tropical Medicine, Leeuwarden Medical Centre, Netherlands.
- Dr. Papreen NAHAR; Senior Research Fellow (Medical Anthropology and Global Health), Brighton and Sussex Medical School, University of Sussex, UK.
- Cynthia WITSENBURG, MD; Specialist in fertility and women’s health, Dimbayaa Fertility Programme, Gambia.
- Session moderator Prof. Dr. Jelle Stekelenburg
Download flyer – Infertility ECTMIH session