Safe Abortion Action Fund – Call for funding
Posted by Maria Codina on July 22, 2019 at 3:37 pm
We are happy to announce that today the Safe Abortion Action Fund (SAAF) is launching a call for concept notes for local and grassroots organizations to apply for flexible grants to support their work on abortion. All information is available on the Safe Abortion Action Fund website www.saafund.org in English, French and Spanish.
The maximum funding level for selected projects will be US$ 80,000 for projects with a maximum duration of 15 months.\
What types of projects will be considered?
- Any project that improves the enabling environment for the promotion and delivery of safe abortion services and/or the prevention of unsafe abortion through locally-led changes in legislation, policy, service delivery and attitudes is eligible for funding.
- This may include the entire spectrum of activities from service delivery to advocacy for policy change or research. The guidelines contain some examples of the types of initiatives or strategies that could be implemented, but the list is not exhaustive.
Application dates for the Safe Abortion Action Fund
The selection of projects will follow a two-stage process (a concept note, followed by a full proposal). The deadline for submitting the concept note is Sunday 11 August, 23:00/11pm BST/London time.
- Only organizations based in low and middle-income countries will be eligible for funding (a list of eligible countries is available here). Safe Abortion Action Fund can fund projects led by individual organizations, a group of organizations or national and regional networks based in the Global South.
- Local organisations registered in countries listed here are eligible to apply. Safe Abortion Action Fund can fund projects led by individual organisations, a group of organisations or national and regional networks based in the Global South.
- Organisations without a formal registration will be allowed to apply if they have a fiscal sponsor. More detail on this can be found in the guidelines.
For a better chance of receiving funding, an application should:
- Address the needs of low-income, marginalized, young and/or otherwise underserved women and girls.
- Sow the seeds of change, e.g. by bringing about a change in the operating environment through advocacy initiatives, or establishing new, more effective ways of delivering services
- Build capacity either in the course of implementing project activities or undertaking specific capacity development initiatives in the field of abortion
- Be able to demonstrate sustainability of impact/leave some footprint behind after the funding is finished
- Approach access to safe abortion from a human rights based and gender transformative perspective
Please share with your networks and contact email@example.com with any enquiries.