Share-Net Expert Meeting on Gender-based Violence
Posted by Kimberley Meijers on November 24, 2016 at 9:34 am
Share-Net International and the working group on Gender-based Violence (GBV) is pleased to invite you for a day-long interactive event on addressing social norms to eradicate gender-based violence on the 8th of December, 2016 at the Humanity House in the Hague.
Social norms play a central role in shaping societal beliefs around acceptable behaviour regarding gender. We witness the growing transition, both in interventions and policy alike to ensure that these underlying harmful gender norms which perpetuate GBV are addressed. This requires innovative ways of creating new shared societal beliefs which would in turn change behavior. This is a complex process dealing with moralities, and hence challenges arise in conceptualization, implementation and the measurement of such norm/behaviour change.
If reading this makes your eyes shine and your heart beat faster, we invite you to come engage in the discussion!
Click here for the Invitation Share-Net Expert Meeting Gender-based Violence
Click here for the Resource List Gender-based Violence
Kindly RSVP by 5th of December by visiting the registration form.
Background Research Reports & Papers:
- Laura Haylock, Rukia Cornelius, Anthony Malunga, and Kwezilomso Mbandazayo (2016), Shifting negative social norms rooted in unequal gender and power relationships to prevent violence against women and girls, Gender & Development Vol. 24 , Iss. 2,2016
- Alexander-Scott, M. Bell, E. and Holden, J. (2016) DFID Guidance Note: Shifting Social Norms to Tackle Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG). London: VAWG Helpdesk DFID
- Jewkes, R. K., Flood, M. G. and Lang, J. (2015). From work with men and boys to changes of social norms and reduction of inequities in gender relations: A conceptual shift in prevention of violence against women and girls. The Lancet, 385 (9977), 1580-1589.
- Marcus & Harper (2014), Gender justice and social norms – processes of change for adolescent girls, Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
- World Health Organization. “Global and regional estimates of violence against women: prevalence and health effects of intimate partner violence and non-partner sexual violence.” (2013).
- OECD (2013) Transforming social norms to prevent violence against women and girls – Synthesis of the Wikigender online discussion,OECD
- Paluck, Elizabeth Levy, et al. (2010),”Social norms marketing aimed at gender based violence: a literature review ” New York: International Rescue Committee
- WHO (2009), Changing cultural and social norms that support violence
Voices: Perspectives on Development, World Bank blog