The Royal Tropical Institute (KIT) in Amsterdam is a multifaceted center of expertise for international and intercultural cooperation. KIT aims to improve health and ensure equitable socio-economic development.
KIT Health aims to improve the health of people in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) by cooperation on research, evaluation, advice and education. Our mission is to improve equity in health by empowering people and strengthening health systems. We work with partners to generate context-specific knowledge and to build capacity at the interface of policy and practice. Key thematic areas of work are education, sexual and reproductive health & rights (SRHR), health systems strengthening and disease prevention and control.
The SRHR team within KIT Health supports organizations and governments to realize better and inclusive access to quality SRH services, promote adolescent SRHR, reduce teenage pregnancy, address child marriage and female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C), improve maternal health and strengthen HIV prevention and care, especially for key populations. To achieve meaningful change, we build our work on a foundation of rights, participation and gender equality.
As our external portfolio is steadily expanding, we seek to recruit a Senior advisor in sexual and reproductive health and rights for an average of 38 hours/week. The work takes place in Amsterdam but requires substantial travelling to notably Africa, and to a lesser extent to Asia, Middle East and Eastern Europe. Our organization’s working language is English.
As a senior advisor at KIT you will:
- Lead research and evaluation programmes in the field of SRHR
- Lead acquisition to further develop KIT’s portfolio in the area of SRHR with a special focus on fragile settings
- Bring your own work/projects in the field of SRHR
- Work with colleagues on the development and implementation of advisory, evaluation and (operational) research projects related to SRHR, with a special focus on SRHR in fragile settings
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of SRHR projects coordinated by KIT.
- Contribute to the KIT Health strategy and organization, e.g. through maintaining and expansion of client relations, networking activities and knowledge management activities.
- Public health or social science background in the field of SRHR
- Excellent understanding of mixed method research and especially quantitative research.
- Excellent understanding of tendering and winning large-scale proposals
- Excellent creative and analytical writing skills with publications in peer-reviewed journals
- A PhD degree is also an important asset
- Demonstrated experience in working in LMICs
- Willingness and stamina to travel abroad regularly (once a month)
- Positive and result-oriented attitude, ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, passion and commitment, open personality and eager to learn and share learning.
- Facilitation and training skills will be an advantage.
- Proficiency in spoken and written Arabic or French will be an advantage.
The ability to experience professional and personal growth within an exciting, dynamic and multi-disciplinary working environment with passionate colleagues. A salary based on qualifications and experience of between
€ 4429,- and € 5618,- gross per month for a 38 hour working week. In addition there is an 8% holiday allowance and admission to the KIT pension fund (ABP). Initial one-year contract, with the possibility of extension after demonstrated good performance.
If you are interested in this position and would like additional information, please contact Anke van der Kwaak, Senior Advisor SRHR at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lindy van Vliet Health Manager at email@example.com. Inquiries by telephone are not promoted. General information about KIT and KIT Health can be found on: www.kit.nl and www.kit.nl/health.
You can submit your application until 18 March 2018. We ask you to use the online application form, via the link you find under this vacancy.
|Job Category||Senior Advisor|