The Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+) is searching for a skilled and passionate leader and manager to lead its organization in the implementation of an exciting and ambitious strategic plan.
GNP+ is a nonprofit global network representing people living with HIV (PLHIV) at the global level. Its mission is to improve the quality of life of PLHIV by advocating for their increased access to essential services and their increased integration into community life. GNP+ believes that the greater and more meaningful involvement of PLHIV is essential to achieving these goals. For additional information on GNP+, please visit www.gnpplus.net.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and managing a budget of approximately €1.5M /year, the Executive Director is responsible for implementing the strategic plan; executing board decisions and providing leadership and management to achieve GNP+’s mission. The Executive Director ensures that there is adequate overall administrative coordination, financial management and integrated systems for effective and efficient implementation and evaluation of programmes, including a comprehensive, ambitious and responsive programmatic and advocacy agenda.
The Executive Director is responsible for the comprehensive management of the organization, and together with the board, will implement the new strategic plan over the next year. The Executive Director is one of the main organizational spokespersons, and as such, must manage relationships with a wide range of local, national and international stakeholders, including community members and leaders in HIV activism and other key populations and social justice movements, academics, researchers and the press. The Executive Director will be responsible for the high-level supervision of all staff, programs and activities and has a shared primary responsibility, for fundraising and maintaining relationships with funders and donors. The incoming Executive Director will have the opportunity to assume leadership of a seasoned organization in transition, and will work closely with the board of directors in shaping GNP+’s growth and long-term strategic plan and vision.
The board of directors is open to candidates with leadership experience, commitment and passion rooted primarily in the HIV movement. GNP+ is committed to the ongoing mentorship and leadership development of the successful candidate and a cadre of experienced leaders will be available to the Executive Director for support throughout their tenure.
In the next two years, key challenges and priorities for the new Executive Director will likely include the following:
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with a diverse range of PLHIV networks and key populations living with HIV (KPLHIV) partners and stakeholders, including with other key populations or HIV advocacy organizations and service providers; grassroots activists; public health officials, bilateral and multilateral policymakers; major national foundations and other funders.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive resource-development plan and a long-term fundraising strategy, including the exploration of new revenue sources to diversify the organization’s funding base.
- Overseeing the ongoing growth and development of a diverse staff in the Amsterdam office and abroad.
- Overseeing the organization’s programs and advocacy as it seeks to fulfil a leadership role in the ongoing movement for the health and human rights of PLHIV and as we continue to improve upon GNP+’s evidence gathering tools, resources and publications as well as expand and amplify the voices and capacity of leaders and activists from the key population communities most affected by HIV.
GNP+ Executive Director Job Posting Qualifications
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualifications and skills:
- Strong roots and history of leadership in the HIV movement as well as the intersecting movements for social, racial and economic justice, human rights, access to medicines, advocacy with communities of key populations including with youth, MSM, drug user, sex worker and the transgender community, criminal justice reform and for the sexual, reproductive health and rights of people affected by HIV.
- Significant managing experience in senior positions managing a diverse team of officers in-house and remotely.
- Treatment, research and science literacy of HIV, TB and HCV.
- Capacity for communication, bridge-building and working in coalition with a diverse group of stakeholders, including community members, grassroots activists, advocates, academic researchers, policymakers, donors, research and development entities and members of the media.
- Capacity to lead and develop advocacy strategies in challenging legal, political and economic environments.
- Ability to motivate and coordinate the work of a highly capable staff around the world.
- Experience utilizing social media and online communications to advance policy and programmatic work.
- Demonstrated track record as a successful fundraiser.
- Demonstrated track record of managing multiple projects and commitments simultaneously while maintaining clear focus on priorities.
- Strong English written and oral communication skills, including public speaking. Fluency in a second or third language is a plus.
- Team-oriented, collaborative management style combined with an ability to provide strong leadership.
- Ability to manage all aspects of an NGO in transition, including management of staff, financial management, fundraising, program development and oversight, communications and board relations.
*The Executive Director position is based in GNP+’s Amsterdam, The Netherlands, with substantial international travel required.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a salary competitive with NGO’s of similar size and grassroots mission and an exceptional package for vacations, holidays, and leave.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 October 2018 at 23:59 CET (Amsterdam Time). For more information on how to apply for this position, please visit www.gnpplus.net
People who are living with HIV are STRONGLY encouraged to apply.
GNP+ is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment that values diversity and inclusion and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate for employment on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, and disability, history of incarceration, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Click here for a printable version of this job announcement
Click here to read the full Executive Director Job Description